Women for Victory Forum Index Women for Victory
Study and Research Board for Female WWII Reenactors

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did the USN Waves make a Women's Shawl Collar Denim Jacket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Women for Victory Forum Index -> I have a question...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nostalgia-on-wheels

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Did the USN Waves make a Women's Shawl Collar Denim Jacket Reply with quote

Hello - I've never used this site before and don't know how to upload pictures but there is an interesting item on ebay, # 162130358289, and the guy is claiming its a USN Waves Shawl collar denim jacket. It differs from the men's version in that it has fixed 13 star buttons instead of the Navy or Coast Guard ring attachment ones. The same guy also has a handful of other USN Waves items up for sale and its all supposedly from the same lady including a short sleeved chambray shirt and some denim work pants, all navy issue.

I just wanted to see your thoughts as I really want to win this item as an anniversary gift for my wife but if its as rare as it sounds this may be pushed into the $600 plus range.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

www.nostalgiaonwheels.blogspot.com
nostalgiaonwheels

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Ebay link Reply with quote

The ebay link is below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162130358289?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Katy
"Caretaker"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a men's jacket. Of course, it is possible that a WAVE wore men's items as emergency clothing if no female uniforms were available, but this is not a specific WAVE item.

Greetings,
Katy
CombatEngineer44

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: WAVES Reply with quote

Hi Katy,
I saw that this morning and had to dismiss it, also. It would be interesting if it came in a WAVES grouping but I would have to know a lot more about it before forking out any money. I've got so I won't even buy any women's Navy items unless it has a WAVES label in it...just too iffy even though I DO have some WAVES items with the NAVAL Depot label that I KNOW belonged to a WAVES gal DURING WWII and not issued after the war. I've never been lucky enough to obtain a WAVES grouping with documented men's wear included...only WAC, ANC and USMCWR.
Good day!

Steve
nostalgia-on-wheels

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comments.

Even if this is a men's jacket it is still different from other shawl collar jackets I've seen in that it has stitching matching the denim and the 13 star buttons. Usually these jackets are offset with white stitching and the replaceable buttons.

My main concern would be whether this was in fact a WWII issue item or a later reproduction. However, if you see the other items that came from the same lady they make this shawl collar jacket look legitimate.

Lack of a label always lends to some mystery though.
CombatEngineer44

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: WAVES Reply with quote

Ryan,
I can't remember right off but did any of the other items she had have the WAVES label?
Hey, if it was within reason, I'd grab it and do more research. May never see another even if it is post war. My weakness with the women's items has to be WAVES so maybe I should keep my mouth shut!
Good luck! Let us know what happens.
Steve
nostalgia-on-wheels

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: REPLY Reply with quote

Steve - I'm going to try and bid aggressively so I'll let you know what happens.

Regarding the WAVE label items I'll have to see if the other items he's listed have labels too. Among the other items he has is a short sleeve chambray shirt, dungaree pants, a sweater, women's dress shoes, and more.

I'll have to post it on here too, pictures I mean, but a couple of years ago my wife bought a couple of WAVES caps at an estate sale. She sold the blue and white one with the Navy band but kept a real interesting one that is solid dark navy, almost grosgrain cotton looking like the deck jackets, and has a Vogue tag. Can't remember if it says WAVES made by Vogue but it was interesting to say the least. Maybe it's common, I'm not sure, but I'll try to post pics in the next couple of days.

Thanks,

Ryan
CombatEngineer44

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: WAVES Reply with quote

This may be her:

Dorothy Gaines Cox USN Veteran
Age 88 Died May15, 2010
New Castle Cemetery.....I think that is in KY

I could not find WHEN she served but it should be available somewhere. Her two nephews are listed in the obits and might be contacted. Heck, I'd just call the funeral home and ask....Prewitt New Castle Funeral Home
Tell them you are a WWII Historian researching her which is true.

Good luck and let us know.

Steve
Katy
"Caretaker"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am amazed for what price the jacket was sold. Very interesting. If anyone finds out more about this item, I would love to hear the results.

And of course, I would also love to see pictures of the special WAVES cap, Ryan. Very Happy

Greetings,
Katy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Women for Victory Forum Index -> I have a question... All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum