Women for Victory Forum Index Women for Victory
Study and Research Board for Female WWII Reenactors

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insignia on HBT uniform

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Women for Victory Forum Index -> I have a question...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
San

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Insignia on HBT uniform Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm new at reenacting and I am looking to get my first WAC (MP) impression together. I have a few questions about the HBT uniform, maybe there's someone here that knows more about it?

I would like to know if WACS wore the collar insignia on the HBT two-piece uniform? And did female MP's also wear the HBT uniform? I was advised to look for this uniform because a field impression is much easier to find. Of course I want it to be historically correct, and I have some doubts about MP wearing the HBT clothing.

Thanks in advance,

San
Dorota
Poland
Poland

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. (Wac MP isnt a field impression.) Do you have any picture of Wac MP in hbt?
Which year? Wac in ETO, US or where?

Wacs didnt wear any insignia on hbt.
Katy
"Caretaker"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi San,

like Dorota I think it is very unlikely that WAC MP personnel would have worn a HBT uniform on duty. As far as I know, their job was conducted in the service uniform.

Usually, no insignia were worn on HBT clothing.

Greetings,
Katy
San

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dorota and Katy,

Thanks a lot for your help, I kind of expected it already, but it's very good to know! Was the HBT uniform worn overseas? By nurses, for example? Unfortunately, I can't really find a lot of information on the different WAC uniforms online.

Thanks,

San
Dorota
Poland
Poland

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about nurses. Other girls will answer Very Happy
But for Wacs HBT during war was only to jobs like mechanic etc.
Hbt in overseas? For Wacs very, very, very rare.

If you want to do a WAC MP you need summer or winter service uniform.

What you want to reenact? I mean WAC, ANC etc Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorota wrote:
I don't know much about nurses. Other girls will answer Very Happy
But for Wacs HBT during war was only to jobs like mechanic etc.
Hbt in overseas? For Wacs very, very, very rare.

If you want to do a WAC MP you need summer or winter service uniform.

What you want to reenact? I mean WAC, ANC etc Smile

Hi Dorota,

I read somewhere that the HBT uniform was used as field uniform with helmet etc. It's a picture on the WAC work attire page of this website, I believe. That is why I wondered if it was also worn as field uniform overseas. An acquaintance of mine is in an MP reenactment group and because I'm interested in WW2 reenactment, he asked me to join his group. I would prefer to start with a field impression (joining the guys on the camp) so I think it would be better not to start off with MP reenactment..

I appreciate your help Smile

San
Dorota
Poland
Poland

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More ANC used HBT overseas.
It's really great that you have MP guys!
If you want field impression you can reenact Wacs in France - Normandy for example. They were guarded by MPs Smile
San

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On http://www.ddayohio.us/Reenactor%20Rosie.htm#US WAC I found authenticity guidelines for reenactment of allied forces in Europe 1944, and read:

WAC Prescribed Uniform for Enlisted Women:

(...)
• Jacket and Trousers: herringbone twill or Coverall Herringbone twill (Women’s HBTs preferred, but men’s allowed)

A bit confusing (coveralls weren't used that often anymore in 1944, right?)...

Maybe it's a good idea to take a picture as a reference point. I feel a bit lost in all the types of combat jackets, trousers and shoes. Razz
Katy
"Caretaker"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi San,

HBT clothing was issued to all WAC personnel (stateside and overseas). However, it was only used in certain circumstances (e.g. if a job required rough field clothing like working as a mechanic, as fatigue-duty clothing, physical exercise clothing or for mosquito protection).

Most of the jobs conducted by WAC personnel were performed in service uniform (if the circumstances did not require otherwise). MP personnel usually stood on guard, walked through the post, checked personnel and papers, etc., jobs which could be performed in service uniform attire. Thus, this would have been their usual work clothing.

I could imagine that HBT was allowed to be worn by WAC MPs on duty in tropical areas - for mosquito protection - before the tropical uniform was developed. Although I guess, it is more probable that the women preferred men's khakis for this. The HBT uniform was not favored by many women because it was rough to the skin, heavy to wear and clumsy in its appearance.

Some general information about WAC MPs:
Enlisted women usually did not replace male military policemen except at WAC training centers where the employment of a male police was considered inappropriate. They were unarmed because weapons were prohibited to servicewomen by regulation.

Only a few documented reports confirm employment of WAC members in an MP role in limited cases in scattered stations and overseas. For example, the only Black WAC unit sent overseas, the 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion, created its own security force with WAC MPs during its service in France. These female military police stopped and checked men at the gate because the women’s camp drew much unwanted attention and was frequently besieged with male soldiers and civilians.
San

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a lot of useful information, thanks a lot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Women for Victory Forum Index -> I have a question... All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum