Women for Victory Forum Index Women for Victory
Study and Research Board for Female WWII Reenactors

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANC Cape question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Women for Victory Forum Index -> I have a question...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NDORRIS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: ANC Cape question Reply with quote

Hi there,
I am a WW2 collector and Registered Nurse and have recently had the joy of being able to add both an original OD ANC cape and Navy Blue/Dark Maroon ANC cape to my collection. I was wondering when the ANC made the transition from the Navy Blue to the OD cape? I have heard in the past that it was 1943, but I wasn't sure WHEN in 1943. Can anyone offer any assistance? Thanks so much for your help!
Best Regards,
Nick
Katy
"Caretaker"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
In September 1942, the Army decided to discontinue the procurement of blue uniforms and changed the uniform coloration to olive-drab. The effective date of change to olive-drab was delayed several times since large surplus stocks of blue uniforms needed to be utilized first. Eventually, the change was made effective on July 1, 1943, for nurses overseas or alerted for overseas. The uniform change for nurses in the continental United States was set on December 3, 1943. (See also Women for Victory, Volume 1, p.49)

Greetings,
Katy
CombatEngineer44

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: ANC Reply with quote

Katy,
Weren't there something like 3 changes to the blue uniform(jacket) during that 1 year period? That's a lot of changes for a 1 year uniform!
It's fun to see one of my daughters wear that one to events. No one knows what it is. Some think it's German!
Nick, great pick up for you.

Steve
NDORRIS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Katy! I knew I would be able to get the most reliable information from you all. This website is an INCREDIBLE resource as I try to put together good collection of WW2 nursing items. My wife has recently become interested in the uniforms as well as she really likes the style of them. I have a complete OD uniform, including cape, as well as a U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps uniform but am still working on getting ahold of the navy blue dress uniform and the beige dress uniform. I missed two GREAT listings on eBay just the other day. As usual, I was just a hair too late. Any ideas on where one can buy original WW2 nursing uniforms or other artifacts? I frequent eBay but didn't know if there were other sources? Thanks again so much for your help! That's great information and I really appreciate it.
Best Regards,
Nick
CombatEngineer44

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Uniforms Reply with quote

Nick,
I know it's a ways off but try to come to the Show of Shows in Feb at Louisville, KY.
Karen and I will have a lot of ANC plus many other women's uniforms at that show. Also, a few neat surprises my wife will bring out of her own collection of Home Front and personal items of WWII.
Just a thought.
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Women for Victory Forum Index -> I have a question... All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum